• Select a School
  • Language

Cowan Elementary School


Free Summer Meals Available to Students Across Indiana

This summer, all Indiana students age 18 and younger have access to free, nutritious meals and snacks at more than 1,000 locations statewide through the 2024 Summer Food Service Program.

To find a Summer Food Service site, families can use the USDA Summer Meals Site Finder to search for sites near them. Site locations and meal service times vary based on local area. Households can find information about the meal types served and days of the week when meals are offered. Families can also call USDA National Hunger Hotline at 1-866-3-HUNGRY or 1-877-8-HAMBRE or use the No Kid Hungry Summer Meals Texting Hotline by texting “FOOD” or “COMIDA” to 304-304 to find the closest meal service sites. Free SFSP meals are still available to all children age 18 and under even if families are participating in Indiana SUN Bucks (Summer EBT).  

Site locations and meal service times vary throughout the state, and locations range from parks and community centers to schools, churches and mobile feeding sites. For more than 40 years, the Summer Food Service Program has provided children ages 18 and under with access to free, nutritious meals and snacks during the summer months. 

The Summer Food Service Program is a federal nutrition program funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and administered by the Indiana Department of Education. The program is designed to meet the needs of low-income children in areas where children may have limited access to good nutrition. 

2024-2025 Prices

   Student Prices                               Adult Guest Prices
Breakfast - $1.75                           Breakfast $2.25
Lunch - $2.75                                 Lunch $4.75

Milk $0.65

Breakfast Flyer 

Hello from Chartwells Flyer 

My School Bucks

 My School Bucks is the system in place for making breakfast or lunch payments. Parents may register for anew account at
My School Bucks to pay or monitor your child's account.   There is a $2.75 transaction fee for each transaction per student to add money via My School Bucks.


 Cowan is partnering with Chartwells to oversee the cafeterias in both buildings this year.  Chartwells will be providing an expanded menu with nutritional information available.  Please view the menus on the Nutrislice website or consider downloading the APP from the App Store or Google Play.


Please visit the following site for the menu:  https://cowan.nutrislice.com/menu/ 
(menus subject to change)

What Makes a Meal?
In order to help clarify what components are needed to make a full meal in the cafeteria, the link below includes a summary of potential options.  
What Makes a Meal?

Cowan recently went through the 3 Year Nutrition Review Process.  The 2 documents below were a part of the review process.
Wellness Policy Evaluation Checklist
Wellness Policy Annual Progress Report

USDA Nondiscrimination Statement

In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.  

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: How to File a Complaint, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: 

mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture 
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 
1400 Independence Avenue, SW 
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; 

fax: (202) 690-7442; or 

email: [email protected].

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2024 SchoolMessenger Corporation. All rights reserved.